We think you’re SUPER! ⭐
Happy Hearts Day 💝💌, BEST friends!
Now, what if we had the opportunity to answer that question and explore the answers through art?
The Brain Energy Support Team (BEST) is thrilled and honored to share that we have that very opportunity coming this fall.
BEST is going to be participating in a community art installation at the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM). Work displayed in Tacoma Art Museum’s TAM Local: Community Art Space for the Superhero show from October 16, 2019 to December 26, 2019.
We will have an opening reception Thursday, October 17, 2019 in the TAM Community Art Space.
To learn more about the community art installation program and the museum, please click here.
We are calling all BEST artists throughout Washington State to share your art with us!
Here’s everything you need to know:
WHO: The Brain Energy Support Team (BEST) in partnership with the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM).
WHAT: A community art show at the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM). Work displayed in Tacoma Art Museum’s TAM Local: Community Art Space for the Superhero show from October 16, 2019 to December 26, 2019.
We will have an opening reception Thursday, October 17, 2019 from 5 pm to 7:30 pm in the Community Art Space at TAM.
BEST is seeking art from BEST Artists to share in the following forms: paintings, drawings, mixed-media collage, photography, 3D art, or sculpture.
WHEN: October 16, 2019 through December 26, 2019.
WHERE: Tacoma Art Museum (TAM), 1701 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, Washington.
WHY: What are the characteristics of a superhero? What it is about these traits that make superheroes special? The local artists of the Brain Energy Support Team (BEST) explore these questions through their art, along with their personal stories of the journey forward after traumatic brain injury. We cordially invite you to join us to celebrate finding our own superpowers, individual empowerment and the ability to thrive through art and artistic expression.
HOW: BEST Artists, here are the steps to get started:
Step 1: Look at the Need to Know section below first to review this project. Requirements met? Great! Move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Think about superheroes. What are the traits of a superhero that stand out to you?
Step 3: Decide how you would answer that question through your art.
Step 4: Create your art (or if you have a piece of art that is ready that you’d like to share, feel free to share that with BEST).
Step 5: Tell us about your art. Email Kim Thompson at email@example.com and let her know what kind of art you’d like to share for the show. Kim will assist you in answering your questions and providing additional information.
We can’t wait to hear about your work!
Need to Know:
BEST Artists, here’s what you need to know to participate!
1. Participating BEST Artists must be affiliated with the Brain Energy Support Team (BEST) in one (or more) of the following ways:
a. support group participant
b. support group facilitator
d. board member
e. Our BEST Space participant
f. BEST team member
g. Second Life (PEER Center/BEST) participant
h. BEST primary community partner/supporter/contributor
2. BEST artists must be a brain injury survivor, caregiver of a brain injury survivor or closely work with brain injury survivors in a support capacity.
3. Participating BEST artists must be a Washington State resident.
4. BEST artists will submit artwork to BEST via personal delivery to Our BEST Space in University Place, Washington, or by mail to the BEST mailing address on or before the submission deadline of Thursday, August 1, 2019, 5 pm.
5. BEST artists will provide an artist’s statement and specific details of the artistic medium and materials to BEST along with a photo of their work which may be used for promotional purposes.
6. BEST Artists must agree to have their work(s) displayed for the duration of the show which is October 16, 2019 to December 26, 2019.
7. BEST Artists will understand that BEST reserves the right to not accept an art submission for any reason.
8. BEST Artists understand that they are responsible for framing and having artwork display ready for any submitted artwork as appropriate and within the guidelines outlined by the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM) that will be included in the instructions when you contact BEST.
9. For artists outside of the Greater Puget Sound area that wish to submit their work by mail, art must be prepared appropriately for mailing and sent to BEST at the following mailing address: Brain Energy Support Team 3800A Bridgeport Way W. #393 University Place, WA 98466.
10. Need assistance in submitting your work to BEST? Have any questions or concerns about getting your art ready? Please reach out to BEST (Kim Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than July 1, 2019 for assistance. We are happy to help you!
11. If artists have 3D works (mixed media collage, sculpture, large works), artists must contact BEST with art project information (size, materials, weight and other pertinent details) at least FOUR WEEKS prior to the art submission deadline of Thursday, August 1, 2019 5 pm. To note, due to space limitations and other guidelines established by TAM, these pieces of artwork must be approved by BEST and TAM in partnership first before submission to the show.
12. After the show, artists are welcome to display their works at Our BEST Space in University Place, Washington, for a time duration that they choose. If the artist would like their work returned to them right after the show, they will need to specify this preference to BEST any time after December 27, 2019. If artists wish to have their work returned, it will be available for pick-up after December 27, 2019 during BEST Space hours of operation or BEST will return works by mail to the artist if requested and the cost is reasonable and sustainable (large and/or heavy works, sculptures or other 3D art will not be eligible for return mail).
(SUPER) Giving Tuesday.
This year, we are giving back to the superheroes of brain injury community of Washington State and their families, by gathering super-powered tools of support.
Can you help? No tools required! Just the heart of a superhero! Want to jump in early? That’s SUPER! Click here to get started quickly and easily.
The Space and Shoppe will reopen on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 to celebrate Giving Tuesday, the international day of giving back.
Join our fundraising efforts by stopping by the Space anytime between 10 am and 4 pm that day to drop off your monetary gift to help BEST build superheroes. Feel free to peruse our Superhero Shoppe for a little holiday shopping, take a tour of the Space and enjoy some light refreshments.
Looking forward to see you!
In the meantime, sending holiday love and BEST wishes!
Today marks two important days.
First, it’s National Concussion Awareness Day.
Let’s talk about concussion, share our personal stories, information and resources.
Next, it’s World Gratitude Day! Today, we are expressing our sincere gratitude for our fellow superheroes, volunteers, generous donors, community partners and supporters. We couldn’t do it without you!
Thanks for sharing your real-life superhero stories and changing the stigma of brain injury throughout the world.
Together, we are making a difference today and every day.