Join BEST for an online art project!
BEST Artist and volunteer, Justin Thompson, contributed a special piece of art to the BEST community art installation, Superhero, at the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM).
His untitled work of acrylics on canvas shown below, was intended to to symbolize and honor brain injury survivors who are veterans, along with their families.
Thank you, Justin, for sharing your art with BEST and the community.
We would like to extend our thoughts, BEST wishes and thanks to all veterans and their families, today and every day.
Join BEST for an online art project!
We are creating online collages of what we are thankful for!
BESTies, share one to three things you are grateful for and join our collage project! We will share our project on this blog, BEST social media, and newsletter the week before the Thanksgiving holiday, Thursday, November 21, 2019.
There are three simple steps to participate:
- Think of one to three things you are grateful for.
- Send your thoughts to Kim Thompson, BEST Communications Manager at this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER than November 18, 2019.
- Watch this space, our social media and your email inbox for our newsletter on November 21, 2019 to see the collage of thankfulness. Not an newsletter subscriber yet? Please click here if you’d like to subscribe to our online version. For a paper version of our newsletter, please contact Kim (see #two for contact info above) to be added to the mailing list.
Final note: for our collage, we will only be using first names to attribute the quotes.
Many thanks for your participation in advance!
It was a dark, chilly night in Chatteroy, Washington, just outside of Spokane.
While there were frights (and delights!) in the night at the Hillbilly Haunted House holiday event, BEST was on hand to greet event patrons with some delights (no frights!) of their own.
We had a fun and “spirited” time talking with folks and providing resources and goodies. Thank you to those who stopped by our BEST booth. We enjoyed seeing you! And a special thanks to event organizers at the Hillbilly Haunted House for having us.
BEST Wishes for a safe and happy Halloween!
🎃Spokane, WA: It was a spirited weekend of holiday festivities at the Hillbilly Haunted House in Chatteroy, WA, and the team at BEST was on hand to join the fun and meet the community. We’ll be back this weekend, so if your heading to the event, stop by and say hello!
Here are some of our favorite tips and strategies for coping with fireworks during the upcoming holiday:
- Here’s a good article on how to manage PTSD on the Fourth of July.
- Here’s some helpful information in this article about seizure risks and prevention if fireworks are present.
- This is one of our favorite articles from Brainline.org on handling the holidays in general. Number thirteen in the tip list specifically discusses fireworks.
- Here’s a really thorough article on how to deal with fireworks if you have post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD).
- Click here to view an short video that we have featured on this blog. This video has helpful advice and information directly from a brain injury survivor on how she copes with fireworks.
- For those with sensory issues, this excellent article from Brainline.org can help.
- For those who have suffered a recent trauma and/or loss of a loved one, fireworks can be difficult to be around. Here’s a short article on tips to create a plan and manage anxiety and PTSD.
As we noted above, before, on and just after the July 4th holiday, fireworks pose challenges for many of us with brain injuries; for many, the comfort of home around this time is best. With feedback from our beloved BESTies and volunteers, Our BEST Space and the Superhero Shoppe will be closed from July 1st-July 8th. We’ll resume our BEST Space activities on July 10th. In the meantime, we’ll be sharing tips, strategies and other tools to help navigate this time of year. Please note, that support group coaches and our administration contact information will be available to you. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Many thanks, BESTies!