Mark your summer calendars, make your plans and start packing your bags! Our 2015 summer camping experiences are back and we think they’ll be the BEST ever.
With the natural beauty and splendor of two stunning locations in Washington State setting the scene, be prepared to be treated to some enriching experiences this summer.
From July 20 to 26, travel to Eastern Washington to gorgeous North Skookum Lake to join other campers for Brain Injury Camp 2015. Now in it’s eighth year of operation, this week-long camping opportunity features engaging activities, workshops, support circles and so much more. Check out this short video to get a little taste of what this camp adventure looks like!
To get more information about this camp, visit braininjurycamp.org.
In the month of August, we head westward to the BEST Dash Point State Park Camp 2015! This annual camp experience is set in beautiful and iconic Dash Point State Park. The camping experience begins at 2:30 p.m . August 9 and runs through 1 p.m. on August 15. Take in the glorious surroundings while relaxing and enjoying friends. Here’s a video to inspire you!
For questions or more information about this camp, email BEST at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To add to the fun, BEST Founder and Chief Visionary Officer, Penny Condoll and BEST Executive Director, Gloria Kraegel, will be posting pictures and more throughout their excellent camping adventures. Join the campaign, “Penny and Gloria’s Excellent Adventures 2015” (#PGEA2015) to see the latest and the greatest from the road.
And now for something completely different (and delicious)! Read on.
BEST Executive Director, Gloria Kraegel, has a camping recipe that is guaranteed to put the “happy” in “happy camper!” Here’s her secret camp recipe for paella.
A 6-quart cast iron dutch over
Campfire (with a large grate)
Large, long-handled spoon
2 boxes Near East Spanish Rice mix
1 large onion (chopped)
2 to 4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 package frozen peas
1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp without tails
1 pound cubed boneless chicken breast
1 can of chopped tomatoes
Optional additions include: mussels, sausage or other seafood and meat that is preferred
1. Heat the dutch oven on the campfire.
2. Add 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil to the bottom.
3. Saute the onions and garlic (stirring frequently so they don’t stick).
4. Add the rice mix and water (per package instructions). Stir. Note: add 1/2 cup less water to make the dish dryer and not like sticky rice. You can add water as it cooks if need it.
5. Add the shrimp, chicken and tomatoes.
6. Cook until liquid is absorbed–about 20 to 30 minutes. Stir periodically so everything cooks evenly.
7. About 5 minutes before done cooking, add the peas.
8. When all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, remove the dutch oven from the heat and place it safely on a stone slab or heat resistant trivet for 5 minutes.
9. Serve with salad and enjoy!
Final note: If you use precooked shrimp and meat, add them toward the end of the cooking time, so they can heat through.