BEST is a leader in peer support and brain injury education and training. Since 2008 The BEST Board of Directors has guided the organization and its relationship with our community using a Policy Governance model that reflects the values, supports the mission, and guides the vision of BEST. Policy Governance is a method of board governance that clearly delegates authority to the Executive Director and the Board monitors the performance of the organization according to a set of carefully crafted written policies.
If you are a committed and engaged member of our community we invite you to consider joining us on the Board by submitting a Board of Directors Application. The Board Introduction Packet answers common questions about serving on the Co-op’s Board and provides the forms you will submit to become a candidate.
In our role as the Board of Directors we
- Set policy and ensure BEST has the resources it needs to carry out its mission
- Are ambassadors in the community building relationships and good will for BEST
- Provide oversight and direction for our Executive Director
- Continually evaluate our own effectiveness as a governing body, as a group of volunteers, and as advocates of BEST in the community
The Board seeks candidates with the following capabilities:
- Constructive and creative leadership skills to contribute sound reasoning and judgment to the Board governance process.
- Desire to develop visionary ideas through study, advisement and discussion. This includes an ability to work within a group setting: to speak up, listen well and be receptive to differing views.
- Interest in Board process and agreement to work within our Board’s chosen framework, including development and refinement of new and existing policies.
- Connection to our community of members; beyond a narrow demographic and with an interest in the whole organization.
- Willingness to support Board decisions that are reached through democratic processes.
Please consider becoming a part of the process and apply today!
Interested in joining us? Download our Board Introduction Packet.
- BEST Bylaws updated 12/2009
Current Board of Directors
- Penny Condoll (Secretary)
- K. I. Lefkowitz (Treasurer)
- Kathi Sturgeon
Please contact us for the next Board meeting date and time or for more information.