Hi everyone! It’s Kim Thompson, BEST Communications Manager, and today is my birthday!
Want to help me celebrate?
Today, tell at least one person you care about that you think that they are SUPER. If you even want to tell the person you see in the mirror (YOU), that’s even better!
I hope you have a super day today (and every day)!
In our latest e-newsletter, we ask this question:
What does self-care mean?
What does self-care mean to you? What does it mean to our community? What does it mean for healing after brain injury?
We explore these ideas (and more) and we invite you all to participate in the conversation. Click here to read more.
Interested in getting your own newsletter each month, delivered right to your inbox? Be in the know with all the latest BEST happenings by clicking here to subscribe!
So, this is totes awesome!
If you spend $25 at our Superhero Shoppe located inside our community center, Our BEST Space, located in University Place, Washington, you receive a colorful, sturdy and super-powered tote bag for free!
Share your superhero style with this fun tote and carry all your superhero accessories with style and ease.
Since it’s nearly back to school time, fill your superhero tote with fun superhero school accessories and fun back-to-school gifts for the superhero kids in your life.
All proceeds from the Superhero Shoppe support the brain injury community in Washington State.
That’s why we love sharing healthy and simple recipes here on the BEST blog!
BEST community, what are your favorite healthy foods? What tips do you have to eat healthfully?
Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas in the comments below or email BEST Communications Manager, Kim Thompson, at email@example.com.
We are looking to feature our community’s feedback and recipes on this important topic right here on the BEST blog and on BEST social media.
Not sure about healthy eating? Not sure where to begin? Need some ideas and information? BEST has some great resources to help you get started on your journey forward to healthy eating. Click here for BEST contact information.
Looking for a fun, easy and healthy recipe for yourself or to serve for to your family or guests?
Here’s a favorite (and tasty!) dish from BEST’s own Robin Spicuzza!
Thanks, Robin for sharing! Yum!
Have a favorite healthy recipe you’d like to share? Let us know and we’ll feature it here in this space.
1 can (15 ounces) Blackeye Peas, drained
1 can (15 ounces) Black Beans
1 and 3/4 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup red onion, diced (soak in cold water to remove the “bite” if desired)
1 small jalapeno pepper* finely diced
1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
2 large and ripe avocados, diced
Tortilla chips, for serving
Additional cilantro and lime wedges, for serving, optional
1. In a large bowl, add the first set of ingredients
2. In a mason jar add in the red wine vinegar, freshly squeezed lime juice, sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste, I add about 1/2 teaspoon of each), and olive oil. Seal the jar and shake until combined.
3. Right before serving, dice up the avocados and gently stir together.
Looking for a healthy and delicious recipe to try this summer? BEST Executive Director, Gloria Kraegel, has some family favorites that serve as go-to recipes all year round. Check out these great eats below!
Have a favorite healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Tell us about it!
4 Large portobello mushrooms
4 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
2 green onions (minced including green tops)
3 tablespoons salted butter
(1) Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
(2) In a small bowl, combine melted butter, onion, garlic. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 30 minutes
(3) Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and garnish with chopped parsley. These are wonderful served with a spinach salad or on a bun as a burger with whatever sides you like. Note: the cheese is optional.
1 can black beans
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup bread crumbs (we like Panko Flakes)
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
(1) Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the
water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
(2) Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.
(3) Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
(4) Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.
(5) Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
(6) Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
This recipe is adapted from AllRecipes.com and is fantastic on a bun with cheddar cheese. Serve with whatever sides you like.